In this episode, author and ESL educational leader, Valentina Gonzalez, joins to discuss best practices for using technology with multilingual learners. You’ll hear specific strategies paired with digital tools classroom teachers can use to support language development, digital citizenship and collaboration!
This week’s episode is titled: Best Practices for Using Technology to Support Multilingual Learners with Valentina Gonzalez. I’m really excited for you to listen to Valentina and my conversation today she’s had some great content online we connected on social media I saw one of her articles for Edutopia and invited Valentina on the podcast so we could unpack this term multilingual Learners and think about how to go beyond the surface level with using technology to support this group of students. She shares some favorite EdTech tools of course but we really dive into the strategies and the choices classroom teachers and Educators can make to support this population of students. I think you’re really going to enjoy this conversation and it hopefully will get your wheels spinning about how to best support multilingual learners.
Listen to the podcast episode on your favorite platform:
Tips to Support Multilingual Learners
- First, get to know your multilingual learners.
- Next, go beyond surface level technology integration.
- Then, incorporate student choice.
- Finally, connect to student experiences.
Sponsored by EdTech Essentials
This episode is sponsored by EdTech Essentials: The Top 10 Technology Strategies for All Learning Environments, my newest book from ASCD. Readers will find, timely, and accessible lesson ideas and strategies. EdTech Essentials shares ways to prepare students to be productive, responsible users of technology both within and outside the classroom. Find EdTech Essentials on Amazon, or head over to ClassTechTips.com to learn more and download the free study guide. A quick note about Amazon: If you search for me, Monica Burns, on Amazon you’ll see some spicy books from an author with the same name as me – so if you head to my website, you’ll find more information about the book and a direct link to find EdTech Essentials on Amazon.
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on Apple Podcasts the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast, too — I would certainly appreciate it!
- Check out Vanlentina Gonzalez’s website, book and work as an EdTech Consultant
- Connect with Vanlentina Gonzalez on Twitter
- 4 Practical Ways to Make Instruction Accessible for Multilingual Learners (Edutopia article)
- ELL Frontiers Using Technology to Enhance Instruction for English Learners (book)
- Larry Ferlazzo-Jamboard
- Advocating for ELLs (Private Facebook Group)
- Jamboard (Collaborative Digital Whiteboard)
- Nearpod (Student engagement tool)
- Pear Deck
- Microsoft Translator
- Microsoft Immersive Reader
- Where to Find Spanish Language Resources for ELLs (Blog Post)
- How To Learn a New Language While You Browse the Web (Blog Post)
- How To Record Your Spark Video in Multiple Languages (Blog Post)
- Speaking Practice App Offers Language Lab Alternative (Blog Post)
- The Caption Hack I Can’t Live Without: Step-by-Step Guide (Blog Post)
- How to Add Captions to Zoom Class During Distance Learning (Blog Post)
- Reading Progress: A Reading Fluency App in Microsoft Teams (Blog Post)
- Sayin’ It Sam Speech and Language App (Blog Post)
- 9 PebbleGo Create Features Your Students Will Love (Blog Post)
- Your Guide to Digital Choice Boards: Here’s Where to Start with Laura Boyd (Podcast Episode)
- Creative Formative Assessment Activities Featuring PebbleGo Create (Blog Post)
- Digital Citizenship Lesson Ideas for Students (Blog Post)
- 5 Quick Activities to Try with Jamboard Tomorrow (Blog Post)
- New Ways To Use Jamboard with Torie Marquez (Podcast Episode)
- 8 Ways to Check for Understanding with Nearpod (Blog Post)
- How Flipping Your Classroom Can Save You Time with Mandy Rice (Podcast Episode)