In this episode, 2022 Hawaiʻi State Teacher of the Year Whitney Aragaki joins to unpack the term place-based instruction and delve into how to put this important pedagogy into action with students. You’ll hear about activity ideas and resources to get started with place-based instruction plus opportunities for integrating EdTech to make this happen!
Listen to the podcast episode on your favorite platform:
Tips for Place-Based Instruction
- Interview an adult for generational knowledge.
- Describe a treasured place and share digitally.
- Utilize GIS and ESRI mapping to tell stories.
- Try virtual field trips to make connections.
Sponsored by My Planner Pages
This episode is sponsored by my free weekly planner pages! I’ve created a downloadable set of planner pages for you that you can start using today. It’s a great way to stay organized in the new year or any time you like. Print them out to write in your daily schedule and tasks, or use the file on your tablet or computer to keep track of your to-do list and set your priorities each day. These planner pages are totally free, and you can find them at classtechtips.com/planner
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on Apple Podcasts the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast, too — I would certainly appreciate it!
- Check out Whitney Aragaki’s website & EdSurge articles
- Follow Whitney Aragaki on Twitter & Instagram
- Learn more about the 2892 Project
- How Virtual Field Trips Can Foster Curiosity (Blog Post)
- 3 Social Media Inspired Student Projects (Podcast Episode)
- Helping Students Become Change Makers (Podcast Episode)
- Reasons to Video Conference with an Expert this Year (Podcast Episode)
- How Technology Plays a Role in Environmental Education with Tina Wong (Podcast Episode)
- Exploring the World With Virtual Field Trips [EdTech Essentials Spotlight] (Podcast Episode)
- Help Students Take Ownership of Their Learning with Kendra Grant (Podcast Episode)
- 5 Types of Tech-Friendly Discussions That Promote Collaboration (Podcast Episode)
- What To Do Before You Host a Video Call With a Guest Expert (Podcast Episode)
- Bring Environmental Education to Life with Project-Based Learning with James Fester (Podcast Episode)
- What Productive Struggle Looks Like When Students Use Technology with Peg Grafwallner (Podcast Episode)
- Become a “Hover-Free” Teacher with Choice-Based Instruction with Miriam R. Plotinsky (Podcast Episode)