In this episode, Instructional Specialist and author Miriam Plotinsky, joins to unpack the term choice-based instruction and share tips for being a hover-free teacher. You’ll also hear about her new book Teach More, Hover Less, How to Stop Micromanaging Your Secondary Classroom as well as some of her favorite techy tools and strategies for empowering students.
Listen to the podcast episode on your favorite platform:
Tips for Choice-Based Instruction
- Use online sharing tools to give students space to share.
- Gather feedback from real-time formative assessment data.
- Think about choice-based instruction as a step to being hover-free.
Sponsored by Pikmykid
This episode is sponsored by Pikmykid. Many schools struggle with dismissal processes that waste time and leave students vulnerable. Pikmykid empowers schools to simplify dismissal, engage parents, and keep students safe with their easy-to-use platform for both dismissal and emergency management. That way, everyone has peace of mind and can focus on what really matters, learning. Get started transforming your school safety on the platform used by over 2,500 schools in all 50 states at www.pikmykid.com by requesting a demo.
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on Apple Podcasts the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast, too — I would certainly appreciate it!
- Check out Miriam R. Plotinsky’s website, book, & Edutopia excerpt
- Miriam R. Plotinsky’s books on Amazon Teach More, Hover Less & Lead Like a Teacher
- Follow Miriam R. Plotinsky on Twitter
- Padlet (Online Discussion tool)
- Jamboard (Collaborative Digital Whiteboard)
- Trello (Project management tool)
- 5 Quick Activities to Try with Jamboard Tomorrow (Blog Post)
- How to Easily Create Choice Boards & Honor Student Voice (Blog Post)
- Your Guide to Digital Choice Boards: Here’s Where to Start with Laura Boyd (Podcast Episode)
- Use Digital Videos for Assessment and Engagement with Screencastify (Blog Post)
- 5 Ways To Kick Off Your Next Zoom Call (Podcast Episode)
- How to Embrace Student-Centered Learning this Year – Bonus Episode with SchoolStack (Podcast Episode)
- 9 Screencasting Tools for the Classroom (Blog Post)
- Connecting Flipped Learning to Differentiated Instruction with Martha Ramirez & Carolina R. Buitrago (Podcast Episode)
- Tech Tips for Giving Student Feedback [EdTech Essentials Spotlight] (Podcast Episode)
- New Ways To Use Jamboard with Torie Marquez (Podcast Episode)
- 9 PebbleGo Create Features Your Students Will Love (Blog Post)
- How to Support Multimodal Learning (Blog Post)