In this episode, educator and author, Peg Grafwallner, joins to unpack the term productive struggle and what this can look like in every content area – from ELA to PE. You’ll also hear about Peg’s book, Ready to Learn, and how teachers can model productive struggle throughout the day, including with technology, to set up students for success.
Listen to the podcast episode on your favorite platform:
Tips for Supporting Productive Struggle
- Create a vigorous learning intention.
- Scaffold success criteria.
- Eliminate the word failure.
- Be transparent.
- Give students time to be successful.
- Provide spaces that cultivate success.
Sponsored by Monica’s Etsy Store
This episode is sponsored by my Etsy store. Did you know that I have an Etsy store full of printables? If you’re listening in November, make sure to check out all of my Thanksgiving and Fall activities and games for your classroom. You can print them out or use the PDF files alongside your favorite EdTech tool. Head to Etsy.com to explore the new items I’ve created.
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on Apple Podcasts the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast, too — I would certainly appreciate it!
Click to see the transcript
- Check out Peg Grafwallner’s website, YouTube & Edutopia article
- Follow Peg Grafwallner on Twitter & Facebook
- Learn more about productive struggle in Ready to Learn: The FRAME Model for Optimizing Student Success
Find Peg Grafwallner’s books on Amazon:
- Clearing the Path for Developing Learners: Essential Literacy Skills to Support Achievement in Every Content Area (2023)
- Not Yet…And That’s Ok: How Productive Struggle Fosters Student Learning (2021)
- Ready to Learn: The FRAME Model for Optimizing Student Success (2019)
- Lessons Learned from the Special Education Classroom: Creating Opportunities for All Students to Listen, Learn, and Lead (2018)
- 5 Ways To Create a Positive Classroom Culture (Blog Post)
- Become a “Hover-Free” Teacher with Choice-Based Instruction with Miriam R. Plotinsky (Podcast Episode)
- Learn How to Stay Focused with Focusable (Blog Post)
- Using Tech to Help Students Overcome Math Anxiety with Allison Dillard (Podcast Episode)
- How to Promote Student Agency in Digital Spaces (Blog Post)
- The What, Why, and How of Visual Thinking Strategies with Dr. Erin Chaparro (Podcast Episode)
- How To Get Students Excited About Learning (Blog Post)
- 9 Screencasting Tools for the Classroom (Blog Post)
- Use Digital Videos for Assessment and Engagement with Screencastify (Blog Post)