In this episode, Dr. Catherine Pearlman, author of First Phone: A Child’s Guide to Digital Responsibility, Safety, and Etiquette, joins to discuss what to do before giving kids their first phone. You’ll also hear actionable tips for educators and families to consider, whether you work closely with families or help prepare students to navigate the digital world.
Listen to the podcast episode on your favorite platform:
Tips for Giving Kids Their First Phone
- Assess kid’s ability to disconnect.
- Establish guidelines for personal device use.
- Start conversations on tech-etiquette early.
- Give kids strategies for shutting down.
Sponsored by Tract
You can’t put a price tag on a teacher’s most valuable asset – time – which is why Tract is giving time back to teachers for FREE this back-to-school season. In partnership with student-favorite athletes, creators, and artists, Tract is kicking off the school year with a set of curriculum aligned Project Guides designed for students in grades 3 – 8. Each guide is chock-full of enriching educational content and on-demand challenges, posed as driving questions, designed to stir creativity and challenge students to solve real-world problems. View the project guides and join Tract FREE by visiting teach.tract.app and use access code MONICA at sign up.
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on Apple Podcasts the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast, too — I would certainly appreciate it!
- Check out Dr. Catherin Pearlman’s website and books: First Phone and Ignore It!
- Follow Dr. Catherin Pearlman on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- How to Help Students Better Navigate Digital Spaces [EdTech Essentials Spotlight] (Podcast Episode)
- Be Internet Awesome – Digital Safety by Google
- How to Use Emojis with Students (Blog Post)
- Creation Activities that Teach Digital Citizenship (Podcast Episode)
- How to Help Students Be Respectful in Online Spaces with Hedreich Nichols (Podcast Episode)
- Digital Citizenship Lesson Ideas for Students (Blog Post)
- How to Use Tech Tools to Avoid Distractions for Students (Podcast Episode)
- 13 Ways to Use Emojis That Might Surprise You (Podcast Episode)
- How to Support Healthy Media Use in Your Classroom with Lila Shroff (Podcast Episode)
- Social Emotional Learning in the Digital World with Krista Leh (Podcast Episode)
- What Does Digital Citizenship Really Mean With Dr. Kristen Mattson (Podcast Episode)
- How to Keep Students Safe and Secure Online (Blog Post)
- The Importance of Supporting Students with Mobile Devices (Podcast Episode)
- How to Lead Conversations About Media Use with Students (Blog Post)
- Using Technology to Scaffold Social-Emotional Learning Skills (Blog Post)