There are so many reasons I love the interactive tool Nearpod. As a classroom teacher in a one-to-one iPad classroom I used Nearpod to create interactive presentations for fifth graders. As a professional development facilitator Nearpod is still one of my favorite technology tools. It provides real time information on how well students understand a lesson and gives you a window into their thought process as they explore new concepts. Nearpod works on iPads, smartphones, and web browsers making it a fantastic choice for BYOD schools.
I’ve put together a list of my favorite Nearpod tips and tricks for teachers getting ready for the upcoming school year. These are just a few ideas for teachers who are new to the tool or teachers who have lots of experience with Nearpod. Like all of my technology tips I hope you’ll choose one on the list to try out in your classroom as you build your tech tool belt this school year.
My 5 Nearpod tips and tricks for this school year!
- Instead of uploading an old PowerPoint presentation try making a slide deck with Canva. This graphic design tool lets you create slide decks with plenty of fonts, colors and graphics to choose from. Users can upload their own photos or search through the free (and paid) stock photos on this site.
- If you’re used to running a live session, try out a student-paced lesson this school year. This means that students move through the slides, activities and questions at their own pace.
- With a snap of your iPad camera or quick upload to a slide deck, you can add reading passages to Nearpod for students to explore. This is great for close reading activities where you ask students to underline or annotate a passage straight from their device.
- Next time you pose an open-ended question in a Nearpod lesson incorporate a think-pair-share. Giving students 45-60 seconds to talk out their answer before typing their response is a great way to get their wheels spinning.
- Incorporate virtual reality into your next Nearpod lesson. If you haven’t heard, the folks at Nearpod added virtual reality experiences to their lessons. Students can now visit destinations around the world straight from a Nearpod lesson.
Do you have a special Nearpod tip or trick? Add it to the comments section below!
Check out my new book #FormativeTech: Meaningful, Sustainable, and Scalable Formative Assessment With Technology featuring Nearpod!
Want more FREE tips? Grab an eBook too!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and periodic special messages... and you'll get INSTANT access to my eBooks, freebies and more!
I can't wait to share my favorite EdTech tips, tools and lesson ideas with you!
Yours in Learning, Monica :)