Using videos in the classroom is a great way to get students excited about a new lesson, build background knowledge and make them curious about the world around them. I’ve shared a long list of apps for streaming videos and Science Channel is another great choice for accessing clips. This app lets you view programs including Through the Wormhole, How It’s Made, and many more.
Explore Shakespeare from Cambridge University Press is a wonderful app for teachers and students working with these classics. Users can see pictures from different productions, tap on different lines of dialogue for clarification, and even listen to audio performances. This app lets you sample a few different selections before purchasing individual plays.
A wonderful introduction to grammar topics, Grammaropolis will get students excited about different parts of speech. With this app kids can access videos, music and tons of resources. The free version gives you all of the content related to nouns but the other parts of speech require in app purchases.
Looking for lessons to teach grammar topics? Here’s two that may work for you:
A fantastic resource for students of all ages, MathsRulz gives kids quick access to formulas. This completely free app includes definitions and examples for area, perimeter and more. Students can also take a quiz to demonstrate their understanding of each formula.
A great way to capture the attention of your students is to introducethese virtual tools. If they are bored with traditional flashcards, post-its or math manipulatives try out one of the virtual tools on our list:
- MyScript Calculator (calculator)
- Coordinate Grid for iPads (graph paper)
- Reading a Ruler on iPads (ruler)
- Base 10 Blocks (math manipulatives)
- iPad Lab Timer for Experiments (lab timer)
- Thesaurus Reference Tool (thesaurus)
- iPad Measurement Tools (ruler)
- SMARTBoard Simulator for the iPad (dry erase board)
- No More Rubber Bands (geoboard)
- iPad Protractor (protractor)
- gFlash+ to Build Study Skills (flashcards)
- iOS 7 Spotlight: Timer (timer)
- Fraction Calculator (calculator)
- Tangrams – Geometry and More (math manipulatives)
- Custom Flashcards (flashcards)
- App Update: Educreations (dry erase board)
- Sticky Notes for a Tech Friendly Classroom (post-it notes)
- News Sources for the iPad (newspapers)
- Assessment Spotlight: The Answer Pad (bubble sheet)
- Fluency and Presentation Practice (teleprompter)
- Promote Student Engagement with a Virtual Whiteboard (dry erase board)
- Atlas Apps (atlas)
- Math Fluency (flashcards)