In this episode I share strategies for using backchannels in your classroom to increase engagement and check for understanding. You’ll hear how this strategy can help with your formative assessment routines as well as some of my absolute favorite EdTech tools to help get the job done!
Subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform:
So let’s make this EdTech easy…
- Decide on why a backchannel would be useful in your class. Maybe it is to spark discussion, practice digital citizenship, or give you formative assessment data
- Decide which tool is the best fit (maybe there is one you’re already using in another way, or one you want to try out for the first time)
- Finally, choose how you want to use a backchannel — such as using a few prompts or keeping it an open space for discussion
- Remember to remind students of expectations in online spaces you already inhabit, or set them up with a few reminders on how to best communicated in shared online spaces.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Have you subscribed to my podcast? I don’t want you to miss an episode and hope you’ll keep following along with me on this podcast journey. When you follow along on iTunes the new episodes will appear in the app so you don’t have to remember to go looking for them… Click here to subscribe in iTunes! And if you have a minute for a BIG favor, add a rating and review to the podcast too.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- What is a backchannel? Replacements for Today’s Meet
- #FormativeTech: Meaningful, Sustainable, and Scalable Formative Assessment with Technology
- Google Docs
- Backchannel Chat
- Poll Everywhere