My new book is now available!
Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom
With such a dizzying array of mechanical and virtual help at our disposal, it can be a challenge for educators to know where to start. Educator and technology consultant Monica Burns can relate. Monica wrote this book to share strategies, tools, and insights that teachers can use, regardless of subject or grade level. Monica will teach you to effectively incorporate technology in the classroom focusing on the “three Cs” of technology implementation—creation, curiosity, and collaboration.
Tasks Before Apps offers K–12 teachers:
- Detailed advice and copious examples of tech-infused lessons that help students meet learning goals while also developing vital digital citizenship skills.
- Customizable checklists and graphic organizers for planning tech-enabled activities; choosing appropriate programs, devices, and platforms; and setting unit and lesson goals.
- Recommendations for and links to apps and online resources that can facilitate and energize learning.
- Reflection and brainstorming questions for use in book clubs and PLC discussions.
Between content-hosting websites, video conferencing apps, grade- or subject-focused social media accounts, knowing how to navigate technology wisely is essential for both teachers and students. Whether you are a novice or a veteran, teach kindergarten students or high school seniors, this book is an indispensable guide to learn how to communicate effectively.
Teach your students to communicate on posts and message boards, locate credible information on search engines, and select efficient, cost-effective equipment furthering academic skills, social development, and digital aptitude in the classroom.
Praise for Tasks Before Apps:
“Monica Burns is one of the leading authorities on the effective use of educational technology. Her latest book does not disappoint, as she compels educators to be more purposeful when it comes to digital tasks. She skillfully leads readers through a thoughtful process that emphasizes a doctrine of pedagogy first, technology second. If you want to get more out of technology, then this book is for you.” —Eric Sheninger, Senior Fellow, International Center for Leadership in Education
“Whether you are eager to integrate even more digital tools or are feeling over- whelmed by all the apps and options, Monica Burns is here with practical, classroom- tested advice. In Tasks Before Apps, she wisely keeps the focus on learning goals while showing us how tech tools can scaffold and strengthen students’ curiosity, collaboration, and creative potential.” —Suzie Boss, author of Reinventing Project-Based Learning, Real-World Projects, and Bringing Innovation to School
Click here to order Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom
Open-ended Creation Tools
Formative Assessment Tools
- How To Skype with an Expert in Your Classroom
- Students Can Work Together with Book Creator’s Collaboration Feature
Add a comment with your favorites!