Why should you include current events in your lessons?
- Empowers active and informed global citizenship: Give your students a call to action or simply open their eyes to a world different than their own through engaging news stories.
- Connects across curricula: From science and technology to arts, history, and literature, news stories help students understand real world applications for their schoolwork including careers that connect to their learning.
- Builds academic and domain-specific vocabulary: Students will learn new words in context as they explore informational text independently and as a class.
- Teaches critical media literacy skills: Current events articles can spark conversations related to evaluating sources and bias.
- Creates dialogue between students and parents: Exposure to current events can bridge the gap between home and school.
- Initiates debate and classroom discussion: Some news articles are perfect for pro/con discussions or for promoting a discussion based on textual evidence.
- Prepares students for 21st century global world: Students need to have experience navigating both digital and print text as they grow up in a world where news stories increasingly come from digital sources.
Learn more about News-O-Matic by visiting their website!
Want more FREE tips? Grab an eBook too!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and periodic special messages... and you'll get INSTANT access to my eBooks, freebies and more!
I can't wait to share my favorite EdTech tips, tools and lesson ideas with you!
Yours in Learning, Monica :)