If you read on a digital device you’ve probably searched through the free books category. You might have found books in the public domain. There are many classic pieces of literature available. Teachers and students can download to read for free on their smartphone or tablet. Started over 10 years ago, LibriVox is a fantastic online resource for free audio books – letting users everywhere search and download audio files of classics.
LibriVox uses volunteers to record passages of books that are already available in the public domain. They host a website where all of the audio files are ready to download. These free audio books can open up on different devices – the same way you would play a music file to listen to a song on your smartphone or tablet.
Free Audio Books
- …to prepare for class by reviewing a passage of a book on your commute. Think about those long car rides or quick trips on a crowded subway. Audio books are a natural fit for most commutes.
- …to support struggling readers by letting them listen to a text as they follow along. Many students have access to a smart phone or tablet outside of the classroom. Whether they use their parent’s device or listen on their own, free audio books can also be used in a flipped learning environment.
- …to build listening skills and strengthen active reading skills by giving students access to challenging texts. These audio books might be above reading levels for certain students in your classroom but can help them make meaning of texts they could not read independently. It is also an opportunity to create shared reading experiences.
LibriVox also takes volunteer submissions of books read aloud to add to their site. Just starting out? Use the search bar to investigate authors like Jane Austen or classic literature like Treasure Island.
Grab the Guide of Favorites!
Quick tips and favorite EdTech tools for readers and writers!
Enter your information for your free guide - it will arrive instantly in your inbox.
This special guide includes:
- a poster of reading EdTech tools
- activities you can use right away
- spotlight EdTech tools
- and more!
I can't wait for you to join me on this EdTech journey!
Best, Dr. Monica Burns - Founder of ClassTechTips.com
When you click below I'll also add you to my list for periodic messages over the course of the year.