You don’t have to be in a one to one iPad classroom to integrate this powerful tablet into your everyday routine. Not every classroom is 1:1 and many teachers find resources for one tablet classroom a bit frustrating as much of edTech focuses on 1:1 classrooms. If you’re not a 1:1 classroom, there are still a lot of great apps that can help your students learn better with the help of technology.
I’ve rounded up some of my favorite apps for one iPad classrooms to get you started on finding great tech resources to use in your one tablet classroom!
Best Apps for One iPad Classrooms
One iPad doesn’t mean you need to feel limited in what you can do in your classroom with educational apps. Here are just a sampling of some great apps to use with your one iPad:
- Spinner (instant decision maker)
- iTunes U (curriculum material)
- Word Clouds (whole class discussions)
- MyScript Calculator (checking student work)
- Science Channel (accessing video clips)
- Pocket (keep track of PD articles)
- Scholastic Book Wizard (scan and search book titles)
- American History Clips (find the perfect video)
- Stream Reading (keep track of conferences)
- Aesop’s Fables (classroom read aloud)
- Book Writer (create class anthologies)
- Number Line (modeling for students)
I also have a list of apps you can use to better manage your classroom that are great for one iPad classrooms. If your classroom integrates other technology, like Google Docs, using apps that integrate with those teaching tools can help to extend what resources you have to be even more effective in your classroom.
Tips and Tricks for One iPad Classrooms
- Use an inexpensive dongle to share your iPad with your class.
- Have students present using the iPad for an easy to use interface.
- Focus on individual students who need extra attention with additional videos with annotation on tough concepts.
- Allow kids to take turns with a timer to ensure everyone gets to play.
- Setup a listening station with books to read along.