Storytelling is such an important skill and there are plenty of ways to turn your students into storytellers using a mobile device. These apps are perfect for kids of all ages and can be tailored to a wide range of activities and tasks. Search through this list to see which app is the best fit for your class.
Apps for Telling Stories
- Write About This! Prompts (journaling and writing prompts to inspire writers across the content areas)
- Book Creator (create interactive storybooks in different text types both independently and collaboratively)
- FriendStrip Comic Creator (design a comic book and help students learn about sequencing events in a story)
- Toontastic for Story Telling (create high quality cartoons along with animation and illustrations and the ability to record dialogue)
- Publish Stories on iPads (write your own storybook)
- Slideshows with Shadow Puppet (record narrated slideshows and search for pictures within the tool to add to your creation)
- Colorful iPad Drawing Tool (illustrate a story)
- Toontastic Jr. Shrek Movie Maker (retell a story)
- Scribble My Story (write your own storybook)
- Tell a Tale on iPads (writing prompts)
- Inspiration Lite for Mind Mapping (brainstorm ideas and the record thinking and you research)
- Illustrate a Story (draw pictures for a storybook)
- Graphic Organizers: Idea Sketch (plan a story with this interactive graphic organizer)
- Use Comics Head for Storytelling (create a comic)
Storytelling is part of students everyday experience. From the moment they wake to the minute they enter your classroom they have stories to tell about their lives and learning. Open ended creation tools like the ones on this list, can give students the space to share their stories with the world. You might decide to provide different options for students or introduce one or two of these tools over the course of the school year to year storytellers. Don’t forget to place the task before the app to guide students as they plan and publish their writing.
Ready to make this the best year yet?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and periodic special messages...
and you'll get INSTANT access to my special guide:
12 EdTech Tips for The Most Successful Year Yet!
...and I'll send you three bonus ebooks on Virtual Reality, Reading & Writing EdTech Favorites, and Formative Assessment tools!
I can't wait to share my favorite EdTech tips, tools and lesson ideas with you!
Yours in Learning, Monica :)