For preschool and elementary school students there are great apps for exploring music. If older students are feeling left out, show them Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. This comprehensive app lets children explore music with a tap and swipe of their screen. Kids can switch between performances, listen to interviews and see which part of the orchestra is playing at different times.
There are so many great apps that can be used to access primary source documents, and the Smithsonian’s Changing America app should be added to your list. It includes images related to the Civil War and quotes written by people who lived through the period.
Here are some Common Core aligned lesson plans for teaching with iPads and primary source documents: What is a Primary Source?, Titanic Timeline, American Revolution Timeline and Social Studies Slogans.
Trees Pro HD by Nature Mobile is a fantastic free app for exploring trees in your neighborhood and beyond. Forty tree species are listed with beautiful, high quality photographs and information on their leaves, fruit and general characteristics. This is a wonderful resource for teachers and students!
Thank you for attending my workshop this month!
If you weren’t able to make it, check out my presentation Free iPad Apps for the K-5 Classroom:
Tags: behavior management, BrainPop, camera, collaboration, Common Core, encyclopedia, field trips, fine motor skills, flashcards, fluency, geography, healthy choices, iPad education, iPad games, literacy, math facts, reading, resources, Scholastic, SlideShare
I love apps that simulate a field trip and I’ve shared some of my favorites (Art Walk, TourWrist). Timeline: Art Museum is an excellent free app that allows users to explore the artwork of artists from the 14th to 20th centuries. I’m a big fan of timelines (Titanic, American Revolution, Math History, Revolutionaries) and this one is great for finding paintings from a specific time period or by a particular artist.
There are lots of resources for gathering information on the iPad. For a different take on an encyclopedia try the Revolutionaries of the Past Century app. This free app allows users to explore influential (and controversial) figures of the 20th century from Elizabeth Cady Stanton to Raul Castro. Search by movement or keyword to access a biography, photo, audio, and links to more information.
Here’s a Common Core aligned lesson plan that is perfect for biographies!
Check out this Common Core aligned lesson plan for another biography activity!
This Day in History is a free app from World Book Encyclopedia that lists historical events that took place on a particular date. It let’s you search any day of the year and provides a longer explanation (encyclopedia entry) of each event’s significance.
Check out this common core aligned lesson plan to use in Social Studies with iPads in you classroom!
Here’s another common core aligned lesson plan to use in Social Studies with iPads in you classroom!
Last 50 Posts (Click on Archives for More)
- TIME for Kids on iPads
- Shout Science Interactive Storybook
- Learn Sight Words with Endless Reader
- App Combo: Number Pieces and ScreenChomp
- Beethoven’s 9th Symphony
- 10 Must-Have Free Math Apps
- Comparative Adjectives on iPads
- Interactive Safari
- Identify Antonyms with Opposites
- Siri in the Classroom: Homework
- Assessment Spotlight: The Answer Pad
- 3D Picture Book
- Study with eFaqt
- 7 Free Apps for Early Learners
- Dragon Geometry
- FriendStrip Comic Creator
- App Update: Educreations
- Tune Train for Music Creation
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Promote Student Engagement with a Virtual Whiteboard
- Pizza Fractions a Visual Math Game
- iOS 7 Spotlight: Timer
- Common Core and iPads
- Printing Tip: Try Reader View
- App Combo: iMovie and Doceri
- Toontastic Jr. Shrek Movie Maker
- EduGame Spotlight: Wooords
- MathLands Logic Games
- ABC House for Early Elementary
- Working Together: iPad Apps that Facilitate Student Collaboration
- Meerkat Math Fact Fun
- App Combo: Educreations and Geoboard
- iPad Name Tags: What’s my number?
- Scribble My Story for Publishing
- Museums of the World
- Prime Number Reference Tools
- National Parks on Your iPad
- Hopscotch for Coding
- Teach with Your iPad: Instruct, Assess & Manage Your Class with a Single iPad
- BrainPop Espanol
- Use Too Noisy for Volume Control
- Pick a Path for Math Practice
- Early Elementary Math Practice on iPads
- Futaba to Teach Vocabulary
- TinyTap to Create Games
- Just 2 Words an iPad Puzzle
- Learn With Homer to Teach Reading
- Images in Your QR Codes!
- Mayan Math
- Publish Stories on iPads