If you’re studying shapes, geometry or spatial reasoning with students try out this free app from PBS Kids. CyberChase Shape Quest! includes games and puzzles that will help children explore these concepts. This app connects to the PBS series and also features an augmented reality activity!
The App Store is full of fantastic apps for practicing math fluency (Math Vs. Zombies, Meerkat Math, Sushi Monster) and Mad Math Lite is a free app that should be added to your list of favorites. In addition to offering flashcards on all operations, this app lets users work with decimals and negative numbers too. Kids can write out their answer as they work through the problem before entering their response into the keypad.
Looking for Common Core math lesson plans? Click here!
A fantastic resource for students of all ages, MathsRulz gives kids quick access to formulas. This completely free app includes definitions and examples for area, perimeter and more. Students can also take a quiz to demonstrate their understanding of each formula.
A great way to capture the attention of your students is to introducethese virtual tools. If they are bored with traditional flashcards, post-its or math manipulatives try out one of the virtual tools on our list:
- MyScript Calculator (calculator)
- Coordinate Grid for iPads (graph paper)
- Reading a Ruler on iPads (ruler)
- Base 10 Blocks (math manipulatives)
- iPad Lab Timer for Experiments (lab timer)
- Thesaurus Reference Tool (thesaurus)
- iPad Measurement Tools (ruler)
- SMARTBoard Simulator for the iPad (dry erase board)
- No More Rubber Bands (geoboard)
- iPad Protractor (protractor)
- gFlash+ to Build Study Skills (flashcards)
- iOS 7 Spotlight: Timer (timer)
- Fraction Calculator (calculator)
- Tangrams – Geometry and More (math manipulatives)
- Custom Flashcards (flashcards)
- App Update: Educreations (dry erase board)
- Sticky Notes for a Tech Friendly Classroom (post-it notes)
- News Sources for the iPad (newspapers)
- Assessment Spotlight: The Answer Pad (bubble sheet)
- Fluency and Presentation Practice (teleprompter)
- Promote Student Engagement with a Virtual Whiteboard (dry erase board)
- Atlas Apps (atlas)
- Math Fluency (flashcards)
Turbo Math Sea Buddies is an engaging and colorful iPad app that children will love. The underwater math games help students practice math topics aligned to the Common Core State Standards in kindergarten through third grade. This app supports multiple user profiles, provides tons of free lessons, and access to even more if you upgrade.
Here are a few of my favorite lesson plans for teaching Common Core Math with iPads: