One of my most popular posts last year was a list of tools teachers and students can use to create how-to videos. It’s been lots of fun to see which ones teachers are most excited about and I often get a chance to lead hands-on workshops taking teachers through these tools in person. There are plenty of reasons you might decide to incorporate a how-to writing activity in your classroom.
This type of reading and writing activity is extremely relevant. With over a billion hours of YouTube watched everyday it is becoming a norm for students (and adults) to search for a video to help them learn how-to do something. Whether you use Spark Video, Explain Everything, or another on this list, there are plenty of ways to incorporate a how-to video into your classroom. Take a look at the list below and add your favorites in the comments section!
5 Classroom Ideas for How-To Videos
- Students can take a simple everyday task and break down the process in steps. For example they can answer questions like, How do you tie your shoe? How do you brush your teeth?
- Ask students to think of a favorite recipe. They can make a plan for how to make their favorite sandwich, salad or chosen dish. Students can snap pictures and record video to create a how-to video for their class.
- Have each student pick something they love to do or feel confident doing. Have them map out the steps to this favorite task and create a how-to video.
- Ask students to find a simple problem in their school community and figure out steps to solve it. For example, How can we reduce our waste in the cafeteria? How do you start a compost heap?
- Students can interview an expert to figure out how to accomplish something new. With their mentor students can breakdown the steps and create a how-to video
Don’t forget! Student videos need an audience – try sharing their creations on Twitter or connecting them to a QR code for an interactive display with #ScannableTech.
Want more FREE tips? Grab an eBook too!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and special messages... and you'll get INSTANT access to my eBooks, freebies and more!
I can't wait to share my favorite EdTech tips, tools and lesson ideas with you!
Yours in Learning, Monica :)