How are you including high-quality, high-interest informational text in your classroom this year? News-O-Matic is a wonderful tool for teachers. This iOS, Android and web-based platform gives kids access to five brand new current events articles each day. Written for specifically for students, News-O-Matic can help teachers make connections across the curriculum and support readers at different levels in their classroom.
As a former elementary school teacher I know how important it is to give students time to explore informational text. Having new articles related to events around the world can help students stay interested as they read and promote discussion. I love how News-O-Matic makes it easy for kids to access high-quality, relevant current events stories both inside and outside of the classroom.
How are teachers using News-O-Matic’s informational text news articles in their classroom?
- Daily reading activities: News-O-Matic can be used in the classroom for everyday reading. As independent readers, students can access new articles each day of the week.
- Connecting to writing: Current events can inspire writers of all ages. Kids can respond to what they’ve read or use topics in News-O-Matic articles to inspire their own storytelling.
- Monitoring student understanding: Teachers use the quizzes in News-O-Matic to make sure students understand what they’ve read. This formative assessment data can help teachers see who needs extra help.
- Refreshing classroom libraries: Students love having access to new text and News-O-Matic gives them something new to read each day. Kids can tap their screen to see brand new articles each day.
- Extending learning: By introducing students to current events during the school day, you can help them extend this learning outside of the classroom. Teachers can share prompts and a list of news topics with families at the end of each week.
Have you checked out News-O-Matic? Visit their website to learn more!
15 Tech Tools for the Reading Classroom
Enter your email and the poster will arrive in your inbox :)
I can't wait for you to join me on this EdTech journey!
Best, Dr. Monica Burns - Founder of ClassTechTips.com