SMARTBoard Simulator for the iPad

15 May

Educreations is a fantastic iPad app that simulates the SMARTBoard touch screen experience. You will use a regular projector and projector screen – I’m often projecting onto my SMARTBoard even though my iPad isn’t connected to it.

This app allows you to use your iPad screen as a blank canvas to write on while recording your entire session. For example I might import a picture of a Scholastic News article and identify text features for my students. As I write on the screen I can record what is happening and these short videos can be played back for the whole class. It’s wonderful to be able to play these “mini-lessons” a second time for students who need repetition, or for students who might enter the class late or have been pulled out to work with a service provider. Sometimes I’ll stop the children when they are working independently and replay the short clip from the introduction of the lesson to review our skill.

After adding a picture from your camera roll (here is a screen shot off of the Scholastic News website) you can write all over the text in a variety of colors.

It’s easy to save and play back any lessons that you’ve recorded.

Educreations also allows you to take pictures while using the app and then write all over it – eliminating extra steps. This feature is fantastic for test prep. Additionally, you can share these lessons through a unique link that can be emailed to anyone right off of your iPad.

Although I’ve gotten pretty good at writing with my finger on the screen a stylus (Amazon has them for around $10) definitely comes in handy for using this app.

Check out my guide -> Screencasting Teacher Tools: Tasks, Procedures, Checklists and Rubric

Links to your lessons can be emailed for view on other devices.

13 Responses to “SMARTBoard Simulator for the iPad”

1. marcella October 24, 2012 at 3:24 AM #

How can you project onto your SMARTBoard even though your iPad isn’t connected to it?
    Thanks

2. mburns7 October 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM #

Thanks for your question! I project onto the SMARTBoard in my classroom just like it was any old projection screen. My iPad doesn’t connect to the SMARTBoard so if you touch the SMARTBoard screen nothing happens to the iPad screen. This app simulates a SMARTBoard because you can write on your iPad screen using your finger or a stylus just like you would write on the SMARTBoard using your finger or a pen. Hope this helps! Don’t forget to check out Class Tech Tips on Facebook and Twitter.

3. Juli March 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM #

Can you go back and edit something in Educreations?

4. mburns7 March 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM #

If I know I’m doing something I want to have easy editing options I always use Doceri, it has amazing features for going back and fixing your recording

5. James Easterling (@jameseasterling) April 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM #

This is an awesome iPad app. However, I don’t use an iPad. I use a laptop with a projector. Are there any SMARTboard Simulator Web Apps that could do the same thing?

6. mburns7 April 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM #

Hi James, have you tried using the SMART Notebook software? Even if you don’t have a SMARTBoard it’ll work great on your laptop – it’s free for the first 30 days.

7. Urvi May 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM #

Thanks for this post! I was wondering, when you say you project your iPad onto the screen, are you connected via a dongle?

8. Jeanne June 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM #

But how do you connect your iPad to project what you are recording in educreations app to appear on your classroom SMARTBoard?

9. mburns7 October 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM #

Hi Jeanne,
    This is the tool I use: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/B/apple-vga-adapter

10. mburns7 October 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM #

Yes, I use this dongle: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/B/apple-vga-adapter

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Nearpod for 1 to 1 Classrooms | Class Tech Tips - May 13, 2013

[…] classrooms with just one iPad there are lots of apps that you can use to create presentations (Educreations, Doceri, ScreenChomp, Haiku Deck).  If you have access to 1 to 1 technology you have to try […]

2. App Combo: Educreations and Geoboard | Class Tech Tips - October 2, 2013

[…] different shapes and snap pictures of their work.  Then students can import these pictures into Educreations (they’ll be automatically saved to the iPad Camera roll). Using the record and narrate […]

3. App Update: Educreations | Class Tech Tips - November 1, 2013

[…] are lots of reasons that Educreations is one of my favorite iPad apps and a new update has added a fantastic feature that I never knew I […]